Driving in Victoria

Driver Licence Information

To drive in Australia (if you are holding a temporary visa), you are required to have a current drivers licence issued from your home country.

This must be a valid license and be either in English or be accompanied by an English translation. Drivers holding an International Driver's Permit are also accepted. As a tourist, you will not need to get your own Victorian driver licence.

Information for tourists about Victoria's road rules

Keeping Left

In Victoria it is the law to drive on the left hand side of the road. This applies for all states of Australia. So be mindful when you are driving and going through intersections and driving at night.

Hook Turns

A hook turn is a right turn from the left lane.  If turning right at an intersection with traffic lights and a ‘Right Turn from Left Only’ hook turn sign, you must make a hook turn so as not to delay trams.  To do a hook turn you must:

  1. Approach and enter the intersection from the left lane and indicate that you are turning right
  2. Move forward to the far left side of the intersection, keeping clear of the pedestrian crossings
  3. Remain stopped until the traffic light on the road you are turning into has changed to green, then turn right.

Seat Belts

It is law in Australia that everyone in a vehicle must wear a seatbelt. It is a crime to be in a car that has seatbelts and not use them. It is also the responsibility of the driver to ensure all the passengers are wearing their seatbelts. Be sure you have a child seat for children up to VIC Roads

Pedestrian Crossings / Zebra Crossings

Be cautious when driving over a pedestrian crossing (otherwise known as a Zebra Crossing) as pedestrians have right of way to cross. Some pedestrians may not look for on-coming cars, so be mindful and always brake for people crossing.


Alcohol and Driving

The blood alcohol limit in Victoria is 0.05 percent. Victorian Police have regular 'booze buses' to test drivers blood alcohol and drug use. There are also unmarked Victorian police cars that can stop and test your blood alcohol limit. It is also illegal to drive under the influence of drugs. VIC Roads 

Speed Limits

In Victoria, the speed limit in suburban areas is 50/60 kph (36 mph), however look out for speed signs and be careful for speed limits during school hours (40kph). The maximum speed is 110 kph. Victoria Police will help you remember with a fine on the spot.

Mobile Phones

It is illegal to use a mobile (cell) phone while driving in Victoria. This includes sending and receiving SMS/text messages. Victorian Police are always checking for drivers who are using their phones while driving. To use your phone, pull over to the side of the road or use a Bluetooth ear piece.


There are different types of fuel (gas) options for cars. Unleaded fuel is available in two options at most service stations - regular and premium. Diesel is widely available as is liquid petroleum gas (LPG). For today's prices see AIP

Many service stations are now offering unleaded fuel blended with up to 10% ethanol. Be sure that your car is able to use Ethanol. Be sure your 


Tolls are charged on some Melbourne roads, including the CityLink freeways and Eastlink. To use these tollways you must either open an account (and receive a remote monitoring device, called a eTag, to attach to the car) or buy a pass before you travel on the tollway.

If you forget to purchase a pass prior to travel, you have three days to purchase a pass before you are issued with a fine. For more information on how to pay tolls, visit the CityLink and Eastlink websites.

Road Education Videos provided by VicRoads

It is always best to practice safe driving in Victoria and obey all road rules and speed limits. VicRoads self help  is a great place learn how to drive safely in the City of Melbourne and Victoria.

For current information on Victoria's Road Rules and Traffic Safety, check with VicRoads. and Victoria Police 

If you accidentally hit a wild animal please report to WildlifeVictoria  or call 13 000 94535.