Weekend Trips in Victoria
A great way to spend a weekend away in Victoria is to take in the heritage of the land
Short on time and desperate for a weekend getaway? Victoria has it all on offer, whether it’s a family holiday by the sea, a weekend away with stunning views and indulgent trappings, a stylish city escape, or simple, peaceful seclusion.
Many of Victoria’s scenic attractions are within easy reach of Melbourne. The beautiful city of Ballarat is a great place to consider for a short break.
Located only 1 hour and 15 minutes from Melbourne city, Ballarat boasts beautiful examples of Australia’s 19th Century architecture when gold was the cornerstone of its growing prosperity. Local food and wine is the highlight nowadays with ever changing seasonal menus to delight the taste buds.
If your ideal weekend away involves less historical buildings and more spa treatments, then Daylesford is going to deliver in spades. The twin towns of Daylesford and Hepburn Springs are Victoria’s premier spa country, home to natural mineral springs, geothermal waters, spa resorts and boutique day spas. Eat and drink your cares away with locally produced food and wine.
If you need to take your family on a quick escape, Philip Island is the place to go for fun and adventure. 90 minutes from Melbourne you can have a family adventure seeing the delightful Fairy Penguins at Philip Island Nature Park, or getting the adrenalin pumping with some go-karting, or whipping the kids into a frenzy at the local Philip Island Chocolate Factory.
Finally, a great way to spend a weekend away in Victoria is to take in the heritage of the land. Take some time and journey through Aboriginal Victoria for a traditional and contemporary experience. Take time to learn and recognise significant sites, spiritual beliefs, renowned arts and unique traditions. Located out on Victoria’s surf coast is Narana: Aboriginal Craft and Cultural Interpretation Centre. Here you can be a part of cultural demonstrations, didgeridoo playing and even try your hand at throwing a boomerang!
Some more highlights to consider on your weekend getaway in Victoria
1. Take a drive down the Great Ocean Road and stop off at Apollo Bay for some seaside fish and chips. Keep a lookout for koalas in the trees!
2. Head to the Victorian Alps and experience skiing in the winter and hiking in the summer.
3. Take a ride on the Puffing Billy Steam Train through the lush forests of the Dandenong Ranges.
4. Have a city break and stay in an inner city loft and book dinner at the 5 star Crown Casino. Try your hand at some roulette and see what you win!
5. Feeling energetic? Grab a bike and cycle the Yarra Valley starting from Lilydale, past Yarra Junction to Warburton on the Centenary Trail.
6. Grab the tent and head to Wilsons Promontory. Take a picnic paired with a bottle of red wine and head to the beach to watch the sunset. Enjoy the Wombats foraging at dusk!
Victoria has so much to offer for a weekend getaway, so get booking today!