Old Melbourne Gaol General Admission Ticket
This ticket unlocks the Old Melbourne Gaol and includes a self-guided tour through the original gaol, an interactive guided Watch House experience, and during the school holidays, the magistrates court and special kids activities.
Are you a business owner in Melbourne?
Promote your business 365 days a year with the #1 Guide to Melbourne.
- Gain MAXIMUM EXPOSURE with a 'Dedicated Business Profile'
- Enter Melbourne's most feared destination with your own time to explore
- Learn the rich criminal history of the site and stories of criminals
- Walk through Melbourne’s most spell-binding journey into its past via guided experiences
DescriptionThe Old Melbourne Gaol has been Melbourne’s home of crime since 1845 and the city’s most feared destination. The general admission tickets include self-guided entry into the Old Melbourne Gaol, an immersive lock-up experience in the infamous City Watch House, the former Magistrate's court, and a word from Ned (the notorious bushranger). Kids code-breaking activities are also included. You can learn about the site’s rich criminal history, experience what it was like for the men and women held there, and discover the stories that never left. Stand in the dock, sit in the Judge’s chair, or join the crowd in the public gallery. Many of Victoria’s most notorious criminals stood here for committal and bail hearings including gangster Squizzy Taylor, Julian Knight, and Chopper Read, when the Court operated from 1911 to 1994. The Old Magistrates Court sits on the site of the original Supreme Court of Victoria where Ned Kelly was sentenced to death by Judge Redmund Barry in 1880. The Kelly Vs the Crown Case is one of many court cases that is available for school groups. Bookings are essential. The City Watch House was the place where felons were brought to face justice whether arrested in the streets of Melbourne for minor misdemeanours or being brought before the court for significant crimes. The Watch House was built in 1909 and operated until 1994 and its original interior is complete in every respect. This is a 40-minute interactive experience like no other. With a Charge Sergeant as your guide, visitors are ‘arrested’ and encounter what it is like to be locked up. Parents note – adult themes can be upsetting for children.
Includes• Admission ticket
• Transportation to/from attraction • Hotel pickup and drop-off
Food and drink
- It is recommend to allow 1.5 hours for your visit and the last entry time is 3.30pm
- Tickets cover entry to two buildings, the Gaol & the Police Watch house. The Gaol is self guided and access to the Watch House runs on a timetable throughout the day (these times vary and are not published). Please note visiting the watch house at the specified time is the only way to see this building
- Parents should be advised the Gaol contains historic material that may be unsuitable for young children
- The Gaol is partially wheelchair accessible. The gaol is over 3 levels and due to the buildings heritage status does not have lifts or ramps. Around 80% of the museum information is on the ground floor, and is displayed on the walls and in cells. Please note the cell doors are very narrow and may not be wide enough for some chairs. Please ask about the Virtual Reality goggles which enable you to experience the other levels
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
You may also like
Sports ToursMelbourne CBD -,
New for 2019 is City Sports Tours providing an insight into the venues and history of Sport in the Nations Sporting capitalFrom $18.00
Sea Life Melbourne AquariumMelbourne CBD -,
Home to thousands of aquatic animals, Melbourne Aquarium is an entertaining experience with amazing underwater worlds to discover, with animal feeds and diver presentatio...From $42.00
Escape HuntMelbourne CBD -,
The Escape Hunt Experience is ranked as the top attraction on TripAdvisor in many countries and is perfectly situated right in the heart of Melbourne.From A$34
Eureka Skydeck 88Southbank, City Suburbs
"Nothing you have ever experienced will prepare you for the awe inspiring views from the Southern Hemisphere's highest viewing platform.From A$22
Lantern Ghost ToursGreater Melbourne, City Suburbs
Be incarcerated in an asylum, visit an abandoned morgue or be a ghost hunter for the night. Lantern Ghost Tours run award winning tours of Melbourne's most haunted locations.From A$36
Explore Australia Tours
Explore Australia is the newest day tour operator to hit the market providing high quality experiences whilst discovering the hidden gems of regional Victoria. Our tours have been designed to ‘Live like a Local’ incorporating boutique wineries and breweries, off the beaten track locations and unique Australian wildlife.
Melbourne Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour + River Cruise
See the sights of Melbourne on a City Sightseeing hop on hop off bus tour, followed by a superb sightseeing River Cruise. Enjoy unlimited hop on hop off for 24hrs with yo11 ReviewsFrom A$52.69
Full-Day The Great Ocean Road Experience
Experience the world-famous Great Ocean Road with tales of shipwrecks and years past, panoramic vistas around every corner and of course the best views of the majestic an6 ReviewsFrom A$135.00
Great Ocean Road Full-Day Sunset Tour
Escape the crowds and experience one of the world's most scenic drives on a full-day tour of the Great Ocean Road. Watch the sunset over the famous Twelve Apostles sea st17 ReviewsFrom A$125.00
Yarra Valley Ballooning and Wine Tour Package
Start your day drifting silently aloft in a hot air balloon over the Yarra Valley and then relax with a full day touring and wine-tasting in this stunningly beautiful are5 ReviewsFrom A$580.00