Old Melbourne Gaol General Admission Ticket
This ticket unlocks the Old Melbourne Gaol and includes a self-guided tour through the original gaol, an interactive guided Watch House experience, and during the school holidays, the magistrates court and special kids activities.
Are you a business owner in Melbourne?
Promote your business 365 days a year with the #1 Guide to Melbourne.
- Gain MAXIMUM EXPOSURE with a 'Dedicated Business Profile'
- Enter Melbourne's most feared destination with your own time to explore
- Learn the rich criminal history of the site and stories of criminals
- Walk through Melbourne’s most spell-binding journey into its past via guided experiences
DescriptionThe Old Melbourne Gaol has been Melbourne’s home of crime since 1845 and the city’s most feared destination. The general admission tickets include self-guided entry into the Old Melbourne Gaol, an immersive lock-up experience in the infamous City Watch House, the former Magistrate's court, and a word from Ned (the notorious bushranger). Kids code-breaking activities are also included. You can learn about the site’s rich criminal history, experience what it was like for the men and women held there, and discover the stories that never left. Stand in the dock, sit in the Judge’s chair, or join the crowd in the public gallery. Many of Victoria’s most notorious criminals stood here for committal and bail hearings including gangster Squizzy Taylor, Julian Knight, and Chopper Read, when the Court operated from 1911 to 1994. The Old Magistrates Court sits on the site of the original Supreme Court of Victoria where Ned Kelly was sentenced to death by Judge Redmund Barry in 1880. The Kelly Vs the Crown Case is one of many court cases that is available for school groups. Bookings are essential. The City Watch House was the place where felons were brought to face justice whether arrested in the streets of Melbourne for minor misdemeanours or being brought before the court for significant crimes. The Watch House was built in 1909 and operated until 1994 and its original interior is complete in every respect. This is a 40-minute interactive experience like no other. With a Charge Sergeant as your guide, visitors are ‘arrested’ and encounter what it is like to be locked up. Parents note – adult themes can be upsetting for children.
Includes• Admission ticket
• Transportation to/from attraction • Hotel pickup and drop-off
Food and drink
- It is recommend to allow 1.5 hours for your visit and the last entry time is 3.30pm
- Tickets cover entry to two buildings, the Gaol & the Police Watch house. The Gaol is self guided and access to the Watch House runs on a timetable throughout the day (these times vary and are not published). Please note visiting the watch house at the specified time is the only way to see this building
- Parents should be advised the Gaol contains historic material that may be unsuitable for young children
- The Gaol is partially wheelchair accessible. The gaol is over 3 levels and due to the buildings heritage status does not have lifts or ramps. Around 80% of the museum information is on the ground floor, and is displayed on the walls and in cells. Please note the cell doors are very narrow and may not be wide enough for some chairs. Please ask about the Virtual Reality goggles which enable you to experience the other levels
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
You may also like
Sports ToursMelbourne CBD -,
New for 2019 is City Sports Tours providing an insight into the venues and history of Sport in the Nations Sporting capitalFrom $18.00
Hot Air Balloon over MelbourneRichmond, City Suburbs
A sunrise hot air balloon flight over Melbourne is an unforgettable experience. Look down on the icons of the world's most liveable city from a vantage point like no othe...From A$495
Sea Life Melbourne AquariumMelbourne CBD -,
Home to thousands of aquatic animals, Melbourne Aquarium is an entertaining experience with amazing underwater worlds to discover, with animal feeds and diver presentatio...From $42.00
Tesla Car Rental
Evee’s straightforward travel hire options make it simple to rent a Tesla for your next journey....... ...
Escape HuntMelbourne CBD -,
The Escape Hunt Experience is ranked as the top attraction on TripAdvisor in many countries and is perfectly situated right in the heart of Melbourne.From A$34
Eureka Skydeck 88Southbank, City Suburbs
"Nothing you have ever experienced will prepare you for the awe inspiring views from the Southern Hemisphere's highest viewing platform.From A$22
Phillip Island: Penguins and Wildlife Full-Day Tour
The Penguin Parade sees hundreds (sometimes thousands) of little penguins crossing the shore in one of natures true spectacles and is not to be missed. Enjoy nature walks24 ReviewsFrom A$129.00
From Grampians National Park & Kangaroos
The Grampians National Park (Gariwerd) are a series of rugged mountain ranges to the west of Melbourne. Home to an abundance of Kangaroos, Wallabies and other native anim2 ReviewsFrom A$129.00
Melbourne Hop-on Hop-off Sightseeing Bus Tour
Explore Melbourne at your own pace on this 24/48-hour hop-on hop-off city sightseeing bus tour. Get on and off the bus as often as you like as you explore the sights in M130 ReviewsFrom A$39.51
Legoland Discovery Centre Melbourne General Admission
12 great family attractions in LEGOLAND® Discovery Centre Melbourne. Enjoy the fun at either Miniland, 4D cinema, Kingdom Quest, Merlins' apprentice and much much more!1 ReviewsFrom A$32.50